The Required Conventions
- The main couple in the film wind up together at the end of the film.
- At least one member of the couple has an emotional transformation during the film.
- There is an important element of grief in the back story of at least one or both members of the main couple. (Someone is divorced, someone’s spouse died, someone’s parent died.)
The Optional Conventions
- There is one scene of the film is devoted to the “meet cute”.
- There is one conversation about sex during the film.
- At least one member of the couple who wind up together at the end of the film, begin the film disliking the other member of the couple.
- This is an urban love story.
- The story is told from the point of view of the main female character.
- Something about the setting or plot is stereotypically female. (The setting may be stereotypically feminine such as in Nancy Neyers films or the profession of the main female character may be stereotypically female.)